The #GenevaConference took place on 27 - 28 November 2018, to take stock of Afghanistan's progress to date and renew Afghanistan's and the international community's commitments to peace and prosperity in Afghanistan.
Here is a breakdown of the key deliverables we can look out for in 2019 and 2020.
1. Look out for new indicators which the government must meet to fulfill the 2017 Anti-Corruption Strategy. By June 2019, we should see an action plan to improve prosecution's case-flow management and have a clearer idea of key functions and responsibilities in the Office of the Attorney General, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of the Interior, Supreme Court, Anti-Corruption Justice Centre and Anti-Corruption Commission.
2. The Access to Information Law will be implemented in 2019. We should see the Oversight Commission implementing policies and procedures for tracking requests, ensuring quality and timeliness of responses, maintaining collection of statistics and providing quarterly updates.
3. The Asset Declaration Law will be implemented by 2020.
4. We should see an increase in the number of female civil servants from 22% to 24% in 2019 and 26% in 2020, across all civil service sectors.
5. We should see more Special Courts for the Elimination of Violence against Women functioning across Afghanistan - from 22 to 28 provinces by 2019 and to 34 provinces by 2020 (subject to security and availability of female staff).
6. We should see the hire of 40 additional female prosecutors and 8 judges who will be trained to take seat in the districts to strengthen local governance and improve judicial services. By the end of 2020, we should be making steady progress to reach our target of 23% women justice professionals in the justice system (subject to security, number of courts in districts as determined by the government).
7. We should see a plan for additional education and training of prosecutors and judges on the EVAW Law how to prosecute before the Specialist EVAW Courts by mid-2019. We can look to monitor the implementation of this plan in 2019 across all 34 provinces.
For more information: https://unama.unmissions.org/sites/default/files/gmaf_final_26_nov_2018.pdf